1) Forum Theatre
Before you run a Forum Theatre session with your students you will need:
- Dilemmas submitted by the students: It is important to work with dilemmas that the students face and can relate to so they should submit the dilemmas used in forum plays.
- A copy of today’s newspaper: This can be a good source of material for value exercises. Ask students to form a view on the stories the paper has reported on.
- To brief the students on respect for different values: It is very important that the students’ opinions and values are respected during the session so that all students feel comfortable expressing their opinions and suggesting their own solutions to the dilemmas posed.
- Setting up the room: You should give some thoughts into the preparation of the room. There should be a ‘stage’ or play area, plus some space in front for chairs for the spect-actors. Also there should be chairs on the side for the actors.
2) Digital Media
Before you run a Forum Theatre session that incorporates the use of digital media you will need all of the above AND:
- Clear boundaries: Consult the social media ethics section within this handbook. You may also consider the need for collecting parental consent.
- Smart phones: Do not assume that all students in your class will have their own smart phone to use. You will have more control over what happens to footage after a session if you use smart phones you supply. You should aim to have at least one smart phone per group (with up to 6 participants in a group).
- Computers: you will need one computer per 2-3 participants if you wish to use Youtube or editing software to edit digital forum plays in class.